Are you an Undergraduates and Masters female students from EMEA regions of the world? Here is an opportunity for you to participate in the 2018/2019 Women Techmakers Scholarship Program for Women. Through the Women Techmakers Scholars Programme – formerly known as the Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship Programme – Google is furthering Dr. Anita Borg’s vision of creating gender equality in the field of computer science by encouraging women to excel in computing and technology and become active leaders and role models in the field.
Dr. Anita Borg (1949–2003) believed that technology affects all aspects of our economic, political, social and personal lives. A technology rebel with a cause, she fought tirelessly to ensure that technology’s impact would be a positive one. So therefore devoting her adult life to revolutionising the way we think about technology and dismantling barriers that keep women and minorities from entering computing and technology fields. She proposed the “50/50 by 2020” initiative, so that women earning computing degrees would be 50% of the graduates by year 2020. However, the percentage of Computer Science degrees earned by women is still far from 50% throughout the world.
As part of Google’s ongoing commitment to furthering Anita’s vision, Google is proud to honor Anita’s memory and support women in technology with the Women Techmakers Scholars Program (formerly the Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship).
Through the scholarship, Google aim to encourage women to excel in computing and technology, and become active role models and leaders.
Type: Bachelors, Masters, PhD
Number of Scholarships: Not specified
Eligible Countries: Women from Europe, the Middle East and Africa
To be taken at: Universities in Europe, the Middle East and Africa
Eligible Subject Areas: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Informatics or a closely related technical ﬁeld
Value of Scholarship:
- The scholarship recipients will each receive a €7,000 (or equivalent) scholarship.
- A retreat opportunity to connect with fellow scholars and Google mentors, while participating in professional and personal development trainings and workshops.
- An online network with fellow scholars program participants designed to share resources, support the global community of women in tech and collaborate on projects to make continued impact.
Eligibility: Applicants must:
- Identify as female
- currently be enrolled at a university for the 2017/2018 academic year
- Intend to be enrolled in or accepted as a full-time student in a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD program at a university in Europe, the Middle East or Africa for the 2017-2018 academic year
- Be studying Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Informatics or a closely related technical ﬁeld
- Demonstrate and Maintain a strong academic record
- Exemplify leadership and demonstrate passion for increasing the involvement of women in Computer Science
Selection Criteria: Multiple scholarships will be awarded based on the strength of candidates’ academic performance, leadership experience and demonstrated passion for computer science.
How to Apply: The Women Techmakers Scholarship is a one-time scholarship. While past applicants and finalists are encouraged to reapply, unfortunately, past recipients of any Google scholarship, including the Women Techmakers Scholarship and Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship, are not eligible to apply.
Complete the online application and submit all requested documents by 1st December 2017. The following application documents must be in English.
- General background information (includes contact information and information about your current and intended institutions)
- Current resume
- Academic transcripts from your current and prior institutions (if you have earned a prior degree)
- One letter of reference from a professor, instructor, adviser or supervisor
- Responses to four essay questions
Application Deadline: 1st December 2017