Applications is ongoing for GreenMatter Postgraduate Awards for study in South Africa. This round of applications is for students who are starting study in the 2018 academic year. GreenMatter is the engine for growing Biodiversity skills. The GreenMatter Fellowship welcomes outstanding graduates, passionate young professionals and experienced leaders from all walks of life. Eligible applicants must be seeking funding for a full-time doctoral programme at a South African higher education institute.
The GreenMatter Fellowship brings together a cohort of dynamic, talented and committed biodiversity practitioners, with the aim of developing and unlocking their potential. It offers participants the opportunity to fully engage in tackling biodiversity issues through their study and career paths, alongside peers who share in that commitment.
As part of the 2018 Fellowship call, GreenMatter and partners are inviting applications for the following named awards:
Nedbank Eyethu Community Trust:
For students wanting to enroll at a South African University to commence Honours studies in 2018. This award is supported by the Nedbank Eyethu Community Trust and GreenMatter. The cash bursary amount is ZAR 50,000 per year. The Honours coursework and proposed research topic must address GreenMatter Priority Skills Areas (As listed in the table above).
Harry Crossley Foundation/Stellenbosch University/University of Cape Town:
For students wanting to enroll at Stellenbosch University or the University of Cape Town to commence Honours and PhD studies in the 2018 (2nd and 3rd year students are not eligible). This award is supported by the Harry Crossley Foundation, Stellenbosch University, University of Cape Town and GreenMatter. The cash bursary amount is:
Honours: ZAR 35,000 per year
PhD: ZAR 150,000 per year for up to 3 years.
The proposed research topic must address GreenMatter Priority Skills Areas (As listed in the table above).
The Mapula Foundation MSc and PhD Award:
For students wanting to enroll at any South African university to commence Master’s and PhD studies in 2018 (2nd year students are not eligible). This award is supported by The Mapula Foundation and GreenMatter.
Mapula PhD Awards:
The PhD candidate cash bursary amount is ZAR 120,000 per year for three years only. Only PhD studies in the following biosphere reserves will be considered for the Mapula awards:
- Kogelberg Biosphere Reserve
- Cape West Coast Biosphere Reserve
- Cape Winelands Biosphere Reserve
- Kruger to Canyons Biosphere Reserve
The topic of the PhD studies in these biosphere reserves must conduct an assessment of how the management practices in the Biosphere Reserve contribute to region’s biodiversity conservation and meeting the Sustainable Development Goals.
Mapula Master’s Awards:
The Master’s cash bursary amount is ZAR 60,000 per year for two years only. The applicant’s proposed research topic must address one of the priority conservation concerns below:
- Project One: Vhembe Biosphere Reserve
- Project Two: Waterberg Biosphere Reserve:
Number of Awards: Not specified
Award Providers: GreenMatter
Eligible Countries: South Africa
To Be Taken At (Country): South Africa
Value of Award: A GreenMatter postgraduate award provides holistic support in the form of:
- a cash contribution towards costs of living, study fees, and research costs; and
- the opportunity to access mentoring support, career guidance and platforms to engage in learning networks.
Applicants must be:
- A national of South Africa;
- In possession of an undergraduate Degree, Honours Degree, or Master’s Degree;
- Seeking funding for a full-time postgraduate programme;
- Able to motivate how your field of study aligns to the GreenMatter priority skill areas identified.
Please apply only if you are eligible.
Selection Criteria: Your application will be assessed on the basis of the information given in the application form. We apply the following criteria:
- Relevance in terms of priority skills
- Leadership Competencies
- Academic Record and References
- Transformation and Access to Opportunity
- Application form Applicants should:
- Demonstrate a good command of the English language;
- Answer all of the questions properly and completely; and
- Complete the application and upload all supporting documents in a timely manner.
How to Apply:
1. Download the Guideline Document below.
2. Fill in the Application form below.
3. Return the Application and ALL supporting documentation to email@example.com by the 5th of November 2017.
Please note that funding for subsequent years is not guaranteed and students will be required to submit an application for extension at the end of each year.
Application Deadline: 5th November, 2017.