The Institute of International Studies (IIS) Undergraduate Merit Scholarship supports undergraduate research in any area of international studies. Research may be conducted independently, in congruence with an honors thesis, or while studying abroad. The scholarship recipients will be called IIS Junior Scholars. In completion of the research project the junior scholars are mandated to submit a four-page summary of the research project to email@example.com and are also required to attend IIS junior monthly meetings to present their research in poster format in front of their peers. Students with the strongest research project, as determined by an IIS faculty panel, will each receive an additional $1000 prize.
Eligible Country: All
Value of Scholarship: Merit scholarships will be up to $2000 each with the chance to win an additional $1000 for Best Research Summary.
Important Notes: Concurrent enrollment students are not eligible to apply
Eligible Fields of Study: International Studies and other related fields
- Open to any UC Berkeley junior or senior with a minimum 3.5 GPA who has completed at least one semester of study in residence at Berkeley.
- All majors are eligible and encouraged to apply.
How to Apply: Candidates must submit a one-page research proposal that addresses:
- The research question;
- Why it is important to the field of study;
- Qualification to conduct the research (i.e. related past or planned coursework, languages, etc.);
- A preliminary research plan (including the format for research, i.e. during EAP, as an independent study, etc.).
In addition, applications must include an unofficial transcript and one letter of recommendation, which can come from a GSI or faculty member. Please ask your recommender to e-mail the recommendation letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline: Monday, 13th November,2017
The application webform can be found here